Is My iPhone, iPad, And iPod Touch iOS 7 Ready?
Time marches on and legacy iThings get left behind. Yes, Apple has announced the Fall release of iOS 7, which begs the question — “Is my iPhone, iPad and/or iPod touch iOS 7 ready?” PhoneBuff has the answer and can even tell you which features might not work on your older Apple device.
Yes, boys and girls, there is much to love in Apple’s just announced iOS 7. However, if you want iCloud Keychain and Control Center on your existing iPhone, iPad and/or iPod touch, it needs to meet certain basic specs:
iOS 7 Ready Devices:
• iPhones: iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5
• iPod touches: 5G iPod touch and newer
• iPads: iPad 2 and newer
That said, folks with an iPhone 3GS or fourth-generation iPod touch or earlier have been dropped by iOS 7 — both products are to varying degrees iOS 6 compatible. Alas, time marches on and right over older devices.
iOS 7: Feature Compatibility
Like iOS 6 on an iPhone 4, not all of the features will work in the upcoming version of Apple’s mobile operating system. Siri, for example, doesn’t run on a 2010 Apple smartphone, unless you jailbreak it.
Of course, iOS 7 has similar feature-specific limitations vis-a-vis hardware:
• Panorama format is available on iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, and 5G iPod touch. Square and video formats and swipe to capture are available on iPhone 4 or later, iPad 3 or later, iPad mini, and 5G iPod touch
• Filters in Camera are available on iPhone 5 and 5G iPod touch. Filters in Photos are available on iPhone 4 or later, iPad 3 or later, iPad mini, and 5G iPod touch
• AirDrop is available on iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPad mini and 5G iPod touch, and requires an iCloud account
• Siri is available on iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPad 3 or later, iPad mini and 5G iPod touch
The most-commented new iOS 7 features/apps — Control Center, iCloud Keychain, Multitasking, Safari and Music App — are available to the overwhelming majority users, which is a good thing.
Looking forward to iOS 7? What features have you drooling? Rave and/or rage in the comments below…