A new, groundbreaking smartphone that is destined take the world by storm? Nope, Nokia today announced a modest yet nice interim update, particularly relating to the camera, that will ship on Thursday, May 16. With a 1.5GHz dual-core chip and single gigabyte of RAM, as announced, the Nokia Lumia 928 isn’t about speeds and feeds:
• Display: 4.5 inch WXGA HD OLED; Resolution 1280 x 768, Aspect Ratio 15:9, Pixel Density 334 ppi; ClearBlack display, Sunlight Readability Enhancement (SRE), High Brightness Mode (HBM); Luminance 300 nits (nominal max), 500 nits (High Brightness Mode); Color depth 24 bit, 16M colors, refresh rate 60Hz; Super-sensitive capacitive touch enables interacting with the display with gloves and long fingernails; Display active area: 58.37 mm x 97.28 mm; 2.5D Corning Gorilla Glass 2
• Battery: Integrated 2000mAh battery, Li-po, BV 4-NW
• Processor: Qualcomm MSM8960+WTR, 1.5GHz dual-core
• Main Camera: PureView 8.7MP Auto Focus with Carl Zeiss Tessar f/2.0, 26mm True 16:9 optics, 1.4 sensor; Optical Image stabilization; Xenon Flash for Still Images, 1.4 sensor; Optical Image stabilization; Xenon Flash for Still Images; LED for Video; HD 1080p Video Capture @ 30 fps
• Front facing camera: 720p HD video and 1.2MP still images
• Memory: 1 GB RAM; 32GB internal memory (formatted capacity is less); 7GB free in SkyDrive with additional storage via subscription
The 920, which was critically well received but hasn’t sold particularly well, has a very good camera. Nokia’s made notable improvements, i.e. Zeiss wide-angle lens and Xenon flash, that underscore this functional selling point in the 928 — people buy smartphones on camera quality.
Likewise, another good and getting better feature is call quality via the 928’s three-mic noise cancellation tech. Calling, really? Yeah, real people call people.
All of that and Windows Phone 8 glueing it together under-the-hood will set you back $99 (after $50 mail-in rebate) plus a two-year contract. Additionally, Nokia’s giving away a $25 credit for Windows Phone apps and games.
Sound like an appealing package to you? Then be at your local AT&T or Verizon store on Thursday, May 16…