We reported earlier this week that ChevronWP7’s unlock tool became available. In this post, we’ll give you a step by step tutorial on how to use it. Don’t worry, it’s super easy and the tool does most of the work for you.
- Go to ChevronWP7 Labs and sign in with your Windows Live ID.
- You’ll need to buy a token (costs $9) to be able to use the unlock tool. Copy the token code given to you so you can paste it later.
- Once you have done that, download the unlock tool (either 32 bit or 64 bit versions depending on your system).
- Connect your Windows Phone to your computer. If you haven’t already, rename your device with the Zune software. You’ll need to have a unique name that has not been registered by someone else yet. Go to Zune>Your Phone>View Sync Options>Rename to do this.
- Open the ChevronWP7 unlock tool.
- Paste in your token code (from step 2) into the text box in the middle of the application.
- Click on “Unlock.”
- If you’re computer needs additional software (most likely it will) the program will give you a error box and then will direct you to a webpage to download and install the needed program.
- Once you’ve installed the programs you need, go back to the unlock tool and press unlock again. You should be put into a queue and when it’s your turn your phone will be unlocked!
Be prepared to wait a while in the queue because it depends on how many people are trying to unlock their phones at that time. When the unlock tool first became available, there was a queue of over 500 people. We couldn’t wait that long so we tried the next day and the queue was only 27 people. But even with 27 people, we still had to wait about 10 minutes. But trust us, it’s worth the wait!